Saturday, January 15, 2011

Winter Wonderland Challenge

The first week's challenge for Project Run and Play is being posted today. I am all pins and needles. I am mainly dying to see what the other lovely ladies made, and of course all the amazing pictures that go with them. For my part I made a four piece outfit, hand making everything from scratch and creating two new patterns in the process. While Winter Wonderland denotes chilly to most people our Winter Wonderland is still 90 degrees :) I called my interpretation 
Photobucket
because I LOVE seeing frosted window panes in wintertime. So delicate, intricate and beautiful. Here it is:
_MG_1478_2642proof
What do you think? I am so nervous about it because while I LOVE how everything turned out I didn't really "take any risks" and kinda "played it safe" haaa! Not that Tim Gunn will be judging me or anything but still :) I think the photoshoot itself was the hardest part. I stayed up for hours cutting tons of tiny snowflakes and making paper flowers and circles and stringing them to grey yarn. Then we went and got a huge bag of shredded paper from the embassy and headed to my favorite destroyed church. After trying and trying to hang the garland and having the tape not stick to the cement wall I thought I was going to cry. You know how it is when you have something so specific in  your minds eye but you just can't make it happen? That was this photoshoot. Then there was Evie. Poor girl did NOT want to be left alone on those steps. She spent most of her time doing this:
_MG_1445_2611proof
When Sawyer started sprinkling the shredded paper from above she looked mildly amused
_MG_1496_2660proof
My ever patient and incredibly sweet husband was able to coax a few smiles out of her thank heavens.
_MG_1482_2646proof
She was a lot happier once she was off the stairs and away from my pretend wonderland. 
_MG_1516_2679proof
At first I thought the skirt was my favorite part. 
_MG_1490_2654proof
It is made from a vintage mens shirt so the stripes are all faded. I love how fluffy it is without being over the top obnoxious and unlike the bagilions of pettiskirts I made this only takes a half hour woo hoo! 
_MG_1454_2620proof
Plus I think it is better for everyday wear and not just photo sessions and Sundays :) 
_MG_1459_2625proof
Then when I made the Bolero I decided that was my favorite part. I LOVED how it turned out and would show it to everyone who came over. When I set out to make it I didn't think I was going to be able to do it and I think that is what made me love it so much. 
_MG_1456_2622proof
What is great is it is incredibly easy to make! THEN I was discussing with a friend how I didn't have anything for Evie to wear in her hair and how I had this adorable beret that was too small for her. Well she just happens to be an avid crocheter (spelling?) and told me she would look at it and see if we could copy it. She was so patient with me (and my incredibly un-nimble hands) and while there are a few crooked lines I was so proud that it even slightly resembles a beret. 
_MG_1517_2680proof
Her white undershirt has a gorgeous lace piece I purchased while in Jakarta hand stitched to it. Of course white on white never does show up in pictures which is a bummer. As for her shoes they are a steal of a deal right now at Target online. I just ordered her a gold pair for 2 dollars!!! 2 bucks!
Of course when we were all cleaned up and ready to get in the car a wild dog wandered over and Evie was positively squealing with delight ha! Well, there you have it. My little design for Winter Wonderland. If you like it and are kind enough to click over to Project Run and Play and VOTE for it I would be ever so grateful! Plus you have got to check out all the other entries! As for tutorials and patterns if it does well enough to keep me in then I will post a tutorial for both the skirt and the bolero. If not don't worry I can take a hint and will understand that in this case beauty was only in the eye of the creator ha! Thanks for your support!!

40 comments:

  1. Love the outfit and of course...the MODEL! She is absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly, HOME RUN! That is amazing! I LOVE IT!! You did so great! I can't wait to make this for my Evie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got my vote! Love it. The details really make this one special. The pintucks on the skirt, the ruffled collar and hem, the tulle, the lace...then a hat to really polish it off! Gorgeous and so well put together. There's no way anyone would classify this outfit as too safe. The photos are amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You my lady are nothing short of amazing! If I only had an ounce of your talent. I love the black, blue, and white color scheme. If you wanted to take the time to share, I would love to attempt an outfit for my lil one!
    Tara
    ~A Mustard Seed Dream

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I want to make it for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. This is one of the cutest outfits I've ever seen. I want to make one for me...haha! And seriously, could she be any more photogenic? What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so, so beautiful - you will move on, I'm sure. (though the hat really looks like it is knitted, and not crocheted - one needle or two? )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, amazing!!! Just went and voted for you. Please, please, please post the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this! I already voted for it :). I love the skirt the most with the combination of the ruffles and the tulle and the stripped pleating at the top putting it over the edge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely amazing!! You are so talented! I would LOVE to make this for my little girl--it's just adorable!! Fantastic job! Tutorials would be fabulous-please post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it all of it. Do you have a pattern or the hat?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss you were doing this? I was so excited to see your lil munckin in her adorable dress and of course you know I totally voted for her!

    Love and Hugs, Jess

    PS. Looks like your doing really well! Of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your outfit! It got my vote....

    I found you through the Project Run and Play and have loved reading your blog. But because I'm new around here I don't quite know how you share your creations... and I'm desperate for the tutorials/patterns.

    I was wondering, if you are going to post the pattern or if you have an etsy shop?

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    PS.the photo shot was worth the work, it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG she is ADORABLE!!! That outfit is to die for!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable outfit! I love it all. And your little girl is the most gorgeous little model!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh. PRECIOUS! please, Lord, give me a girl so i can dress her like this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! I voted for you. I'd love a pattern for the hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this outfit! (and I'd love to see a tute on the bolero and skirt)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful OMG. I would wear an adult version maybe minus the tulle on the skirt but still!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love that little outfit. i really really do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loooove this! You totally deserve to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my, Kelly, this is amazing! Love, love, love everything about it, hope you are the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok you have to post this tutorial! I am finally going to have a niece! I sooo need to make this for my sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely LOVE your creation! I think it's just the right mix of girlie ruffles and contemporary darks. I would love to see the tutorials! I VOTED for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is an absolutely adorable outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I voted for you!!! Sure hope you make it to the next round!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to feature you on my Sunday Six list- this week's category is talented designers. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your outfit, just gorgeous! I would totally put it on my sweeties and if we don't live in a winter wonderland, nobody does. I mean, there would be tights involved, and a coat overtop for outside, but this is just, ack, if I could just steal it I would. Except even if I could I wouldn't because moral objections aside, it's too big for one of my girls and too small for the other, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Please, Please, Please post a tutorial, that skirt is the cutest thing I've ever seen. You have some mad skills when it comes to designing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. She is so gorgeous! Your pictures turned out so beautiful! I love the skirt AND the bolero!!!! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would live to see the tutorial for the outfit. I can see my baby wearing it for her 1st birthday in may! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  33. I miss the voting- but I love this! It is so cute! I would love to see a tutorial posted on it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE it. But, I haven't seen anything you've created that wasn't gorgeous. You are so incredibly talented and everything is photographed amazingly.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just found your blog, wandered into it via Project Run & Play. I LOVE this outfit, especially the skirt. Please, please, please, post a tutorial!

    Thanks.

    Lil

    ReplyDelete
  36. The whole outfit is just delicious! I would loooooooooooooove to see a tutorial for everything!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...