Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Scrapping walls and eating ice cream

It was very exciting to see the changes made this weekend at "our" orphanage here in Dili. The children at Sawyers school had done fundraisers and saved etc. to earn enough money to make some major renovations to the walls, doors and roof. We were then extraordinarily blessed to have the help of the American Sea Bee's (If you have not heard of this branch of the military you have got to click HERE to read about them, especially the section on "most recent activity", they are AMAZING). I was able to head over and help with some of the work, scraping walls and pounding a few nails.
IMG_3721proof
We brought with us 3 of the older girls who have worked extra hard raising the money and getting involved with the orphanage.
_MG_3711proof
It was so cute watching some of the children watch and try to help the soldiers
_MG_3662
We also discovered the boys everywhere LOVE beef jerky. This little guy in particular
_MG_3697proof


By the end of the day the entire exterior was patched and and painted. New doors and frames were put up. The roof was fixed and reinforced. Now we are planning on how to set up running water for them as opposed to the system they have now
_MG_3701proof
And the next MAJOR project is their one bathroom. Warning this is not a nice picture.
IMG_3734
The children there are sooooo sweet! They love seeing a picture after you take it and I have learned to show them then snap another one right away because they will still be smiling.
_MG_3709proof
They each have a little information sheet about themselves up on the wall with a cute little picture
_MG_3674
This is Alianca. She is 8 and I want to bring her home SOOOO bad. Her parents are still living though and simply cannot afford to take care of her. That is actually how most of the children in this particular orphanage are. I honestly don't know which is more tragic.
_MG_3708proof
This is Rosita. She LOVED the gum we gave her and thought it was HILARIOUS when I would blow big bubbles.
_MG_3735proof
After heading home I took the boys to the grocery store with me to purchase food with the mola we had been saving from selling cupcakes at the embassy each Friday. This time Sawyer TOTALLY got what we were doing and made sure we bought lots of hot dogs "cause there my favorites". Both boys were excited to deliver the food and items I had made. Evie on the other hand was in THE worst mood
_MG_3746proof
The hubby said it was because of the shirt I made her wear that I made. What!?! No way :)
_MG_3749proof
We also purchased a HUGE thing of ice cream to take and share with them. (there are usually a lot more children but some were in school, don't worry there was plenty left for when they got home ;))
IMG_0032proof
I also gathered up and finished some skirts out of the fantastic material I have been sent. I hope some of you recognize it :) I made 2 of every skirt for a grand total of 14 skirts. I also made some curtains to separate the boys room out of some awesome truck material.
_MG_3743
Sam loved handing them over to Sister Rosa (the lovely lady who runs the orphanage).
_MG_3753proof
We also found out that Sister Rosa is being transferred back to Jakarta NEXT WEEK!! We were so sad and really worried about what is going to happen to the orphanage. There is a lovely "second in command" nun that will be there until they can find a replacement, which is hopefully very soon. Of course grumpy Evie would not let her snuggle her good bye.
IMG_0050proof
How do you explain that she is a wonderfully kind nun and just needs some baby snuggle time ha! I just wanted to share with you the wonderful things the US military is doing abroad and where some the fabric you have been sending has been going. Thank you so much for helping!! They really love it :)
Cheers!
Kelly

18 comments:

  1. very cool! I love the shirt on Evie...I think it's cute! :D
    blessings,
    quinn emery

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE your blog!! It's facinating to see what you guys are doing over there and how different it is....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post :)

    I'm a new follower so seeing this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading this! So cool to see what is going on there.

    Love and Hugs, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! Teaching your kids how to care and serve! You and your family are so wonderful!
    I also wanted to tell you that I get to hear a diversity lecture at my school and it is given by a Westminster graduate that was on the Mercy ship and she is going to talk about her experiences. I'm so excited!!!
    Love the blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful post. Thank you and Bravo for the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you doing. My country was also in war and many children have lost their parents.
    I am particularly sensitive to them.
    I send my blessings to all children of war.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the post and my heart warmed seeing how happy the children there are. That can mean only one thing- you are doing a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truly beautiful. Those children look like they really enjoyed your company. What a precious way to donate your time. And good for those troops! They are a force to be proud of!

    Thanks for sharing. You've really inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great way to spend your time! Beautiful! Hope you work out a plumbing system.
    My heart goes out to all those children. I am gonna have to send you some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for yet another reality check. It's not all about "us", is it? I have a burden to do what you are doing...thank you for bringing a smile to my lips and a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great experience for you and your family. I found your blog a bit before our little "contest" and I have to tell you, I LOVE the shade of green fabric you made the dress with:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was blown away by your dress and now I'm blown away by your whole entire blog! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's the greatest thing to help at an orphanage isn't it? I got to go to two of them in Ambon. At one, the Sea Bees installed water filters. These children had been fasting once a week for two years and praying that God would give them clean water to drink. It was amazing to be a part of His answer to them!

    I got to see what the Sea Bees did all Summer long and they are fantastic!

    PS. My daughter, Katie, was adopted from a Romanian orphanage... her parents were still alive too. It is so sad....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do admire your work in there!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The US Military does do a lot of good things like this abroad, but usually unless you are either living abroad to see it or are part of a military family you do not know it. We live in rural Panama. Different branches of the US military come here several times a year to help with projects. It is an excellent training ground for the military and helps out the local people. The work you are doing there is great - it is beneficial to the local people and teaches your children great lessons. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...