Monday, August 23, 2010

The "Taking Notes" Skirt tutorial

,!!! Update!!!! This pattern is available on the new Sewing In No Mans Land website: sewinginnomansland.com The link below is no longer active. Thank you!
I am actually not a HUGE fan of the high waisted style. And, I am usually so behind on trends it is probably out this season anyway ha! I love how it looks on tall bone thin girls but since I am short and leaning more towards "big boned" they usually make me look a little chunky. But I couldn't get this idea out of my head. It is actually an adaptation of an apron I saw on a much-to-expensive-to-ever-buy-any-of-it website. I was of course worried about the high waist thing but LOVE it.
_MG_0498proof
Or, a better picture of the actual skirt up close
_MG_0511
I loved it so much I had to make one for Evie so we could be matchie matchie in Rome... okay we totally won't wear them on the same day but hers turned out super cute as well.
_MG_0515proof
You can find both patterns HERE it is listed under "Taking Notes Skirt". What is great is how super easy this is! There is actually only one piece to the pattern. The rest is up to you. How long you want the skirt, how gathered, how wide and long the ties are etc.
What you need:
3/4 yard of fabric
1/3 yard of light interfacing (I used up the last of my interfacing and it was heavy ugh)
Sewing machine
Maybe a zipper (it is up to you)


Once you have printed our the pattern, cut two from your fabric and 1 from the interfacing. Then cut out your ties. To make the ties you will need 4 pieces the same width and length. Create your ties by placing two lengths of fabric right side together and sewing all the way around, leaving one end open. Then, pull the fabric right side out. I then iron and top stitch but that is up to you.
_MG_0480
I wanted my ties wide and long so I needed to gather the ends so that it would match up with the end of the top of my skirt.
_MG_0481
Take one of the fabric pieces you cut out from the pattern and the one piece of interfacing. Attach the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric. Now take your other top piece of fabric and align it right sides together to the one you just attached the interfacing to:
_MG_0435
Now take the two ties you made and slip them in between the two piece of fabric at both ends. I always have mine stick out the end a little, just for safe sewing :)
_MG_0482
Once you have them positioned correctly you are going to start sewing about a half an inch from the bottom edge. Sew all the way up and over finishing about a half an inch from the other edge. Now flip the entire thing right side out. Using your iron, iron up the bottom edges so you have a little pocket with nice clean edges:
_MG_0488
When the whole process is done you should be left with something resembling this:
_MG_0484proof
Now for the skirt portion. I wanted mine to hit right above my knee and be moderately gathered. I made two pieces and sewed them together simply because of the amount of fabric I had. If you only want one seam you can totally use one long piece of fabric. Either way, place your fabric right sides together and sew up the seams. Then hem up the bottom.
_MG_0485
Now run a gathering stitch along the top. I then lined my skirt up with the top to adjust the gathering until it matched.
_MG_0486
Then I turned the skirt bottom right side out and slid it up into the pocket we created earlier and pinned it all the way around
_MG_0489proof
Now you are going to topstitch all the way around until the end. The back will have a bit of a gap. I decided to gather mine a little and then just hem it over. If you would like you can easily tighten this up and put a zipper in... I may end up doing that but for right now it works fine like this:
_MG_0492
Now all you have left is to topstitch over and across the top of the skirt. This is optional but I really think it makes it look nice. That is it!
_MG_0503proof
It has been requested that I show a few more finished product pictures so here you go:
_MG_0509
the tie and skirt top
_MG_0511
the entire skirt a little closer
The only difference between mine and Evie's was that I did NOT use interfacing on hers. I just didn't have any, but it turned out great. Plus I think it lets her move easier.
_MG_0543proof
and this little lady is BUSY, she has lots of calls to make and friends to keep up with
_MG_0520
I also made her a little hair clippy out of the scraps and the phone distracted her enough to leave it in for a bit!
_MG_0519
She is getting FIVE teeth at once and this picture totally looks goofy and shows of her newest little snaggle tooth in the front
_MG_0544proof
Enjoy, and I hope you took notes haaa haa I am so lame!
Cheers!
Kelly
PS I was asked by a few people where my bracelets are from. The big one is from Forever 21 for like 2 bucks and the bangles were a set of five from Anthropologie that I now have only two of. The three others were lost in the battle of "I'll give you whatever you want if you will just be quiet in church".

72 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, she is so cute and I love the skirts! I am on a skirt making kick right now. I'll put this one on the list of skirts to make! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom and I think you are BRILLIANT!!! And "Evie" is getting so big we want to cry. We are really proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great skirt!! I am going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT! It's not THAT high waisted, just kind of? I am with you short and leaning towards bigger boned. By no means bone thin and I thought the same that I just couldn't wear that sort of thing but I will definitely be trying this out!

    Love and Hugs, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooo gorgeous!!!!!! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, LOVE this skirt! Oh my goodness, baby and momma versions! I wish I had a baby girl to make it for, but I'm definitely going to make myself one (eventually). haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my word! I'm in LOVE! She is so darn cute...and so are YOU! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like the skirt but i LOVE the actions you used on the pics!...beautiful!...can that be your next tute?

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE IT!!! So cute...wish I knew/liked to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. I've never ventured into sewing clothes {yet!} but I think this might be the one! I'm your newest follower & I can't wait to read more!! Thanks for this awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, LOVE this skirt - your choice of fabrics totally makes it - love the two different sizes of dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply LOVE this! Where can I find the cute fabric? New to your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the fabric, love the mannequin too!! ;-) Can I go get my favorite color polka dots at Mayestic and you make it for me? I am so investing in a sewing machine now. Must chat soon about Bali!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, for goodness sakes, go for it and be matchy-matchy -- the Romans will adore you both! Lovely skirts and lovely girls.
    Big "Wave" from the Italian on Cape Cod,
    Jude at
    dolcecapecod dot blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it so much!! Where did you get the fabric? That is such a perfect shade of yellow. I am thinking I might just need to make myself one! :)

    P.S. I found you through Be Different.. Act Normal

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh...love it!
    babynightnightbotique.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous skirt. I really want to try one for me and my daughter as well. I am wondering what kind of fabric you used?
    rachel-thelifeofriley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Obsessed! So cute and I really badly want one. Too bad high wasted anything makes me look like nothing but chest and hips. I have to find someone to make this for!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is one of my favorite skirts I have seen a tutorial for yet!!! I tried making a skirt the other night and it turned out looking like the worst kind of granny skirt! I LOVE this skirt!! I am making one for me and for Lily! :) Thanks SO SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cute! I love that you made it for both yourself and your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this skirt! I'm definitely gonna have to branch out and try it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i absolutely adore this and cant wait for my 10 month old and i to match. i will send you photos when i make them. question...did you make that shirt too for you? if soo - a much needed tut for the white ruffle front top!
    lauren from new orleans, la
    www.4isablessing.blogspot.com
    www.designalatte.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to make some of these! My daughters will look so cute and I'm excited to have a new skirt of my own. Thanks for sharing your talent with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohh I love the polka dots!! This is definatley going on my list, I'm just finishing up a cute linen paperbag skirt and then maybe I'll tackle this one!! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am in LOVE with this! thanks so much for sharing, i am most def. going to have to make one very soon! i featured this on my blog dear!

    ReplyDelete
  26. how pretty!!!! can you take a picture of both of you wearing it side by side :) must be very cute

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I love this! I can't wait to make one of these for me and my little girl. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for this Tutorial! It was perfect for a skirt I have been wanting to make my little girl. Here is my blog if you are interested in seeing what you inspired me to make.
    http://germer4.blogspot.com/2010/10/make-it-monday.html

    Thank you so much for sharing your talent and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I couldn't resist this tutorial! So adorable. The skirts I made for my daughters are found on my blog. Thanks so much!

    http://joshandamandalamb.blogspot.com/2010/11/its-that-time-of-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been looking for a fabric like this (I love yellow and polka dots). Do you remember which fabric it is?

    ReplyDelete
  31. adore this.
    p.s. big boned??? fibber.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are so cute! Can you do some tutorials on your hairbows? I've been looking through and Evie's bows are so cute! I love how they coordinate with her dresses

    ReplyDelete
  33. Evie's beautiful! and the skirt is really sweet -- can't wait to try out the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I did it! I made one! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I love how it turned out. I blogged about it here if you would like to see pictures...

    http://prettylilposies.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-skirt-for-munchkin.html

    Thanks again! By the way I am in love with your Retro outfits you just made they are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW this is so precious! I will have to make it for my little one!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely adorable!!!This was a great post!!! I am your newest follower and hope that you will come be a follower at my blog!!! brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  37. this skirt is amazing! where did you get the top?

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the whole outfit. It's been added to my 1-sewing project a month in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  39. LOVE this skirt! You are amazingly talented. You've probably seen this, but it looks like Anthro. should be paying you for your designs! Have you seen their "Sunny Soriee" skirt? Almost identical to the taking notes skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I made one for my daughter.. and i love it and so did everyone else! I cant wait to make another one.. id love to send you a pic but cant quite figure out how haha.... love all your blogs, i also made a "mullet dress" for her and i ADORE it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm insanely love with this! Thank you so much for posting this tute! I must make one for myself this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is so gorgeous! Thank you so much for the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am over the moon in love with this skirt! Thank you so much for sharing. I just found you through Grosgrain and I'm in love with your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I tried to make this skirt for myself out of linen and the back gathered funny. The gap between the waist band stuck out and fell below the waist band showing skin. I tried adding a zipper to remove excess fabric but couldn't get it right. what does the back of yours look like?

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! I am gonna need to make me one of these! May I ask where you got the top also? It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love this! Thanks for the tutorial. For some reason though, I cannot get pattern piece 3 to download. The others worked fine. Guess I will have to wing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is wonderful!! You make it look easy...maybe even I can do it! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  48. How much fabric do you need for an adult skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I know I am late to the game, but this skirt looks amazing! The only thing I am wondering, is do you have any pictures of how the back looks finished and tied up? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'd like a skirt and that cute little girl of yours. Thanks. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm also quite curious about the back. I would love to make this skirt, but I can't figure out that back area. did you add a zipper? If not, how do you get it on? besides all that, I LOVE the skirt, big and small, and can't wait to try it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi, I'm dying to make this skirt but the patterns won't load! It says there's an error. Help???

    ReplyDelete
  53. I LOVE the skirts they are both beautiful! Thanks so much for the free pattern.. I was very very curious where you got your fabric though-- I love that shade of yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi, I just found your site and want to make this skirt for my daughter. The pattern is not loading on the mediafile site. Is there another way I can get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm having the same problem as Brandi. I just bought fabric to make this and now the pattern won't load. Has is been relocated?

    ReplyDelete
  56. Jen and Brandi...I'm having the same problem...thought it was just me! I really WANT to make this, I have been in a sewing mood today and am almost done with a dress and wanted to make the skirt next!

    Would love to have the pattern!
    ~Lauri
    http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love this! It's so cute! THe pattern is not uploading though. Is there anyway you could e-mail it...aubreejo_2@hotmail.com or do you know what is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  58. I just came across this and would love the pattern as well and its not loading from the link provided. Would love to make skirts for my girls for the holidays. Could you email the pattern to shanna.schad@gmail.com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  59. I would love the pattern as well. Please let me know if you get the link fixed or you could email me the pattern. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Obsessed with this! I would love this pattern but its not there as those previously posted - if you are emailing it would you send it to me too! :)

    s.maerz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  61. I am having the same trouble with the pattern. I cannot seem to get it it load on my computer. Is there any other way to get it? I really would love to make this.

    Let me know if you get the link fixed or are getting it to people another way please :) it is really a beautiful skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thank you for posting! I am so excited to make this for myself and my little girl as well! I love your blog, especially since I can relate. I just moved to Kuwait with my stash of crafts and fabric and hope it lasts! :) I just don't have as much creativity as you so I'm thrilled you're so willing to share. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  63. For the open area in the back of mine, I am going to try shirring (elastic) thread in my bobbin the hem the skirt and make it bunch, that way it will be easy to put on and wont sag and expose my skin hopefully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. I really loved everything about this skirt. It's really cute and simple. The only problem I had was with the back. It was really confusing to me on how to make it fit over the hips while being snug on the waist, without having a huge gap. Any insight?

    I ended up sewing in elastic when I hemmed the extra fabric between the two ties, which ruffled the fabric and still let it stretch. Then I sewed stretchy knit material between the ties so it would still stretch over the hips, but not leave a gaping hole when the skirt was tied. It looked a little bunchy, but it worked better than seeing skin. I think this skirt would work best with a zipper.

    But overall the tutorial was great and the skirt turned out really cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  65. I love this skirt and am planning on making my own. I can also see that with a little modification of a casual pant pattern these could be super cute high waist pants - perhaps in white linen?

    I have a obsession with white linen pants in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I am in love with this skirt for both my baby girl and I, I am a little intimidated about making it for myself, I too am shorter with a muscly, or big build. we'll see how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  67. Love the skirt. Can you tell me approximately how long and how wide the ties are? I'm not good at figuring that type of thing out on my own!
    tygerlilyinutah@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi,

    This skirt is adorable! I got ambitious at Joann's and bought enough fabric to make 2. :) However, I'm having trouble visualizing how the back will look when it is complete - would you mind posting/sending a picture of how yours turned out?

    Thanks! And thanks for sharing such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. I am so in love with this skirt! You and your daughter both look equally adorable in it. :) Thanks for the great tutorial. I shared this today during Skirt Week at seven thirty three.

    ReplyDelete
  70. This is all over pintrest and I love any tips for making the adult size?

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hello... I love this and am so keen to get my machine out and sew one! However, This link sadly is no longer available. It states that the folder is set to private ... anyway that you can upload the pattern to your site, refresh the link, or email the pattern to me? Thanks Amy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...