Friday, August 20, 2010

Anthropologie Scarf Tutorial

This project is so easy you will just die. I swear, sooooo easy. I have been waiting for this scarf to become available.























I love it, but really wanted to have it for Rome. I thought I might be able to make something that looks as good so I gave it a go and honestly, I love it! (My fabric is totally grey but because I did pics at 10pm at night with awesome lamp light it looks green).
_MG_0330proof
I will also teach how to make the little fabric covered balls to sew on but do not have the correct beads to do it, so, it will be a walk through without pics, I hope thats okay.
What you need:
_MG_0312


(Ignore the flower that is just there for aesthetics... I really think it adds something to the picture don't you? HA! Totally being sarcastic)
A long strip of fabric (Mine was 10 inches wide and 2 yards long)
Sewing Machine
Beads with LARGE threading holes (you can find these at craft stores, I used to have a bunch but used them all up making fabric necklaces for christmas last year)
Glue
Needle and thread
Jersey flowers (There are lots of tutorials for these floating around the crafty blog world)
Take your long strip of fabric and hem up the edge using a gathering stitch.
_MG_0317
Repeat on the other side. Now sew a gathering stitch straight down the middle.
_MG_0321
Finish off the ends of the scarf. Take your jersey flowers and attach them in a location you like.
_MG_0324
(I made Evie a khaki green one and loved how this little grey flower turned out for it)
I attached three flowers about 1/4 from the bottom.
_MG_0337proof
If you would like to have fabric balls like the one I wanted to copy here is how you do it:
Using some scraps of fabric create long enough and wide enough strips to go around the bead, folding over the ends so that they are not raw. You are going to paint your beads with glue. Then take the strip of fabric and wrap it around making sure the ends are folded. Using a knitting needle, pen, seam ripper etc you are going to shove the side seams into the hole in the bead on either side. The holes in my beads were tiny but I swear I gave it a valiant effort but look at the size of the holes on the beads I have:
_MG_0314
Once this is done you can do a top coat of glue, or modge podge to seal it if you think it might come out. Once done you can sew it onto your scarf wherever you like!
See I told you!! SOOOOOO easy. It honestly looks just like the one my friend has from Anthropologie that I drool over and she paid 40 bucks for hers. Mine? 1.80! Woo hoo!
_MG_0345proof
My hubby took that pic at around 10pm after I had finished a LONG day of showing Mercy visitors around the island (for the 8 day in a row) and I was so tired. He was cute and tried to cheer me up by spouting out Zoolander lines. Him growling like a tiger did crack me up
_MG_0348proof
When I where it for real I think I will have the flowers rest a little higher up... anyway. Hope you have a fun easy time making it!
Cheers!
Kelly

37 comments:

  1. oh I just love it, thank you for sharing this i'm for sure making one :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made something like this too, but yours looks better! The fabric looks perfect and the flowers really make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! What kind of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I love the dress tutorial below, too. I found you on One Pretty Thing. Also wondering ... where'd you get that beautiful bracelet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!! Love it! Thanks for the tutorial! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to know what kind of fabric you used as well. Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making this scarf this weekend! Adorable! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in LOVE with this scarf - Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the scarf - what type of fabric is it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly, thought I'd stop by and so glad I did! I'll be featuring this fabulous scarf tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful scarf and a great tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally awesome...I must make one..thanks so much for the thoughts and creation! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's adorable can't wait to try it. I'm a third wondering what kind of fabric you used it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously, this is the CUTEST thing I've seen all week! (And that's saying something...I'm a Kindergarten teacher!) I'm now convinced that I need a gathering foot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any suggestions for how to do it without a gathering foot? I love it and really want to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Any way to make this without a sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very cute scarf. I think I will make it tonight. I have some light chocolate brown material that I was looking for something to do with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Curious as some of the others - what fabric did you use? It doesn't look like a cotton, but a silk perhaps??? Please advise ;-)

    Thanks,
    Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe how much I love this! Actually, yes I can...but either way I'm featuring this on my blog next week :)

    http://rebecca-youcandoit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am curious too, what kind of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously.. {love}! This is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just saw your scarf on pinterest and it lead me here. I love your scarf and I am so happy you shhared your tutorial. I also would like to know what fabric you used:)
    amykaidavis12@yahoo.com- if you get a chance to tell:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am curious about the same thing that many others are - what kind of fabric is this? It is beautiful!!
    Lindsay
    craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Kelly,
    I was also wondering what type of fabric you used. It looks like a thin material.

    My machine seems to struggle (maybe it's just me?) with thin fabrics. Do you have any advise on how to prevent the thread from being all..."loose"?
    Thanks!
    Aly

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks really nice :)

    I made a list of DIY ideas on my blog <3
    You're in it, hope thats okay :)
    http://crafterlifebyme.blogspot.com/2012/02/diy-ideas-shoes-scarves.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. What kind of fabric is the scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Please what type of fabric did you use? It drapes so nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks so cute! I have a scarf just like the Anthro one but I found mine at Forever 21- so much cheaper! For the fabric covered balls on mine they used pom poms, might be a little easier to cover those than beads.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beauty!

    How about gather fabric over beads and sew in by hand underneath? Add others nearby? Then, glue or sew fabric yo-yo or edge-tucked patch to cover stitches?

    I found 1/2" and 3/4" inexpensive faux pearl stud earring and color them with nail polish to use as flower centers or groups on self-fabric yo-yo with a pin back. Cut stud shorter with wire cutters, if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beauty!

    How about gather fabric over beads and sew in by hand underneath? Add others nearby? Then, glue or sew fabric yo-yo or edge-tucked patch to cover stitches?

    I found 1/2" and 3/4" inexpensive faux pearl stud earring and color them with nail polish to use as flower centers or groups on self-fabric yo-yo with a pin back. Cut stud shorter with wire cutters, if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there. My heart bleeds hear I hear of loose threads. Please search online using loose machine thread for solutions. I know solutions -but more space is required.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...