Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dare to Design: My Dress Design for Shabby Apple Dresses

Is it odd that I am literally shaking as I type this? I don't know why I am so nervous to share this. Maybe because it took me FOR-EV-ER to figure this pattern out and then make the dress. Maybe it is because I am worried that it's cuteness won't translate to film? In any event I wanted to share the dress I made inspired by Shabby Apple Dresses (click on the hyper link to view their fabulous collection) I call it the "Bustling City" dress.
shabbyapplesidefar
My wedding dress had a big bustle and I love it so much I never wanted to spread it out (much to my photographers dismay). Since then I have REALLY wanted a dress with a bustle, a practical bustle. This one isn't huge and doesn't make my bum look enormous. It is just a fun detail on the back, an area that is usually boring.
shabbyappleback
I love highish defined waists (hide my momma tummy) and clean straight skirts so I tried to do that in the front
shabbyapplesideclose
It hits right above the knee so it is nice and modest for my embassy functions
sabbyappleside
And of course those who know me know I am OBSESSED with collars so this one had to be fun and pleated like crazy.
shabbyapplecollar
Does it help that I had my gorgeous friend Nicola model it? Oh I think it does ha!
shabbyappleclose
Oh and it has a little side zipper. That thing turned out to be the bane of my existence. I couldn't find my zipper foot (still) so I took the dress with me to Rome. My mother in law couldn't find her zipper foot so the two of us struggled and tore out and resewed it I don't know how many times ha! I really love the finished product and even though I am sure I won't win (guaranteed the gorgeous little lady behind the fabulousness that is Grosgrain will whip something up and crush me, she is just AMAZING) I couldn't let another year go by with out trying. AND if nothing else I am so excited to wear it to something fancy pantsie and be able to say "Oh thanks, I made it!" if I receive any compliments :) So let me know what you think. I am so nervous it is silly. Oh and I thought I would include one shot of me wearing it... you know just for kicks and giggles.
_MG_2822proof
Cheers!
Kelly
PS I am working like a made women on a project I am SOOOO excited about for MADE's yellow month. The post will be up Thursday woo hoo!

34 comments:

  1. The cuteness translated very well! I love it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like old movie star glamour! I love it. It is fresh and unique and wow. A prize all its very own that it came from you. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...can't believe you made that! Its gorgeous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why you would be nervous to post pictures because that dress is gorgeous! I love all the details and the high waist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your feelings... I have been working on a wrap dress for ages. I am totally in love with the collar. I have been meaning to create one myself... but I am still figuring out how. If you could share any tips, I would really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally beautiful! Both you ladies are gorgeous! Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE bustles too!! They should be more popular in modern clothing! This dress is amazing! A tutorial would be fabulous--I just can't get over how cute this turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly, it is stunning! I LOVE it! Kathleen is very talented but so are you! And at the very least you are in very good company! I wanted to submit this year too but feel VERY overwhelmed with the end of the year craziness! (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Birthday, Christmas followed by birthday, and birthday!) The end of the year is a busy time for us!

    Love and Hugs, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.
    a. I love it.
    b. Can I have it?

    Please & Thank You! :)

    But seriously, I have to have to one way to another. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is gorgeous!!! I am loving the bustle :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought bustles would translate well into non-formal wear, but that looks so cute and comfortable! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool are you???!!! Love the dress like crazy! I entered a design to Shabby Apple also, not to win, but I thought, Why not put that design degree to work? New follower here....loved all your back posts and seeing your daughter. I only recently started blogging about things I wear, build, and alter. I'm a mommy of three so it's inspiring to see other mom's work fashion and family together!! Can't wait to see what comes from you next. Huge new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE it!!! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelly, it's gorgeous! What a cool design. Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. That is beautiful. I WANT one! :) Also FYI, I don't know if someone already told you this, but Grossgrain isn't submitting a design this year (per her blog). Good luck to you! I just found your blog via MADE and I'm not a faithful follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is stunning! Really, really stunning. Great job.
    p.s. I just found you via MADE as well. And I think I feel a serious crush coming on :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super amazing!! Is there any way to do a tutorial on how to bustle?? I have always wanted to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would totally buy that pattern! ...especially if it was cheap :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This. is. phenomenal.

    For real. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this!! Wow, so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i LOVE it! i LOVE it! i LOVE it! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. gorgeous!!! this dress is seriously amazing. i love it! looks like something straight out of bloomingdales :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. love it love it!! and I am also obsessed with the somerset dress you made for crafting with the stars... I definitely need a tutorial!! I just found your blog through Sew Dang Cute and it is fabulous!

    www.laforcebewithyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. That dress is gorgeous. And where can I buy it??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kelly:
    Would you consider doing a tutorial on this, or emailing me the basic's of what you did? Fabric type? etc... I have a semi-formal dinner to attend for my husbands work trip and really have been trying to find a fun, different, and modest outfit! This would be awesome... I know you are a busy women so if that's not in your schedule I understand.. hope to hear from you soon!

    Ashlee
    ashleewright07@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! I realize that it's almost a year since you made it.... but it will be a classic! Well done! I hope that you've found your zipper foot by now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...