Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Paging Dr. Sawyer, A bunny has a boo boo {Little Lab Coat Tutorial}

Sawyer genuinely thinks I can sew anything. He will come home from school and ask me to make him the most elaborate costumes. Sometimes I deliver and sometimes, well a kid has to dream right? He came home from his friend Katie's house the other day and told me he wanted a "white jacket with a heart with a mountain on it (like this bump-bump)" so he could be a doctor. I asked him what kind of doctor he wanted to be and he told me "an aminal doctor". I figured this was one I could deliver on and boy am I glad I did! I started out with a mens white v-neck undershirt. I laid it flat on the table and cut right up the middle to the center of the "V" on the front. This made the lab coat (In the end I hemmed both sides, but that is optional). Then I gathered some felt. I cut out a heart (the way you did as a child, folding it in half and cutting on the fold) and then free handed the "Bump-Bump", which was actually hard and doesn't look all that stellar.
_MG_1044



Then I made two white felt pockets and filled them with "aminal doctor" items. On one side we have treats for his pets
_MG_1037
I adhere strictly to the "rule of 3" so I actually had to call the hubster to get an idea for a third item, fish food was all we could come up with HA! In the other pocket we have more serious doctor items:
_MG_1035
You can't see it all that well but that is a thermometer in the middle, the white on white probably wasn't the best idea but maybe this is a better angle
_MG_1036
the finished product looked like this:
_MG_1041
I thought about putting his name but then thought Finn and Evie might end up using it, but turns out Finn wants one BAD!!! So I will probably be making another! Sawyer LOVED it, which is an understatement.
_MG_1056proof
He begged to wear it to school and his teacher allowed him. Now he spends his days taking care of the poor sick animals that abound in our house
_MG_1058proof
Hope there are some animal lovers out there who could use this! (or human lovers, you could substitute animal treats for suckers, balloons etc.)
Cheers!
Kelly

12 comments:

  1. Great job Mom! And what a cute little Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is ADORABLE!! I'm so impressed Kelly! You seem to always come up with the cutest projects! I can't wait until my little one is old enough for one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH this is so cute... what a great way to increase the dress up wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a really cute idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to make a lab coat for my "little doctor". Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! Thanks for taking the time to share this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genius! Thanks you so much. My 4 yr. old is always wanting to play "doctor" and we don't even have a doctor's play set. This is definitely next on my to-sew list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooo cute! I love his little smile like he is so proud. I'm totally doing this for dress up clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest is the same way! "Mom, can you make me a ninja costume" (easy) "Mom, can you crochet me a bow and arrow set?" (not so easy)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...