Monday, April 4, 2011

Landscape Photography

I have missed doing photography posts and although I would love to share some of the pics I have taken while here in Singapore, as per my usual pre traveling, frantically packing self, I left my cable that hooks my camera to my computer at home. Yup, I do this every time. I actually own 3 card readers and two cables because I do it so often and usually can't stand to wait until we get home to get the pictures off. But this week I have been thinking a lot about a type of photography that I am really horrible at, Landscape photography. Now I can take a fine picture of a barn on a hillside in the fall probably as well as the next person but I really struggle with how to make everyday scenes interesting.
Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 8.33.15 AM
How to add drama through black and white editing etc.
Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 8.33.00 AM
My lovely photographer friend Leah has wowed me again in this very area and I just had to share some of her breathtaking pictures and the site she created for them, with you. This summer she blogged about taking some landscape pictures at the ranch they vacation at. She posted a few and I thought they were lovely and then didn't think much of it again until she posted about the book she commissioned with all here pictures in it. (You can see the results of the book HERE)
Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 8.36.04 AM
She also created a site for Shinning Mountain Ranch that, well, I am not going to lie after seeing all the pictures I am dying to take my kids there and I have NEVER, even briefly, thought about going to Montana before ha!
Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 8.37.04 AM
I have always enjoyed being able to document my families growth and their wonderful smiles but I have been thinking lately how fantastic it would be to be able to decorate our walls with amazing landscape photos that I actually took, not Ansle Adams ha!
Screen shot 2011-04-04 at 8.35.39 AM
I guess maybe I just need to jump into it and start snapping away. Timor offers an overwhelming number of locations to shoot. Maybe every now and then I can share some with ya'll and you can tell me what you think. Heaven knows there is going to be a learning curve here and at first you might think, um Kelly, that is a totally uninteresting picture ha! If anyone has any good learning sites let me know. It seems this corner of the photography world is mainly dominated by older men, so I am really proud of Leah for carving in her niche! Pop on over to either site and enjoy some soothing pictures of our beautiful state of Montana! Meanwhile I have one more day in Singapore then it is home to Timor. Finn and I are quite excited to head home. We miss our family (and I think Finn is getting sick of me, he has stopped laughing at my jokes and just stares at me now ha!)

PS. All photos are Property of Leah Miller Photography. Please do not use them without her expressed consent. I have made sure they are unclickable but I know there are ways around it. She does beautiful work and is an equally beautiful person to work with so if you like her pictures contact her, don't take them :) 


3 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous! She really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not so great at landscapes either. I took one a couple months ago of the sunset and a cactus silhuette. Maybe I'll post about it and link back to your post. But yah other than a beautiful sunset I'm no good at landscapes! If you find any helpful info. pass it on for sure, I'm totally interested!

    Love and Hugs, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH! I have also been playing with the idea of doing some HDR images. Gotta dig out my tripod for that though...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...